Aside from trying to cut sugar, I've also started to cut my processed carb intake. Although I still keep my whole-grains at breakfast and lunch, as well as unlimited fruit and veg, I need to cut my stress habit of shoveling my face full of empty carbs.
Since most of us know that going cold-turkey rarely works, I thought that swapping flour-based muffins with almond-based muffin, would be a good substitute for crackers and chips. After reading through some recipes online, I found a VERY successful mix of ingredients. My only caveat is that you need to choose a protein powder you love the taste of, because the flavour of the powder will really be pronounced.
AND, it's gluten free, for all my g-free friends ;)
Ingredients (makes 12 muffins):
- 1 & 1/3 Cups almond meal (also sold as ground almonds, or almond flour)
- 5 Scoops white chocolate or vanilla protein powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave, in 10 second increments until mostly liquid
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients until mixed well
- Line a standard muffin tin with liners, and evenly distribute the batter among 12 liners
- Place in the oven, and bake for 12 minutes