From time to time, I'm faced with what I like to call the use "'em up challenge." This happens when something in my fridge or pantry is days away from expiry. This week, my use 'em up challenge involved carrots and canned pumpkin puree. Equipped with a grater, some pantry staples, and this recipe to adapt from, I gladly declared "Challenge accepted!"
Ingredients (makes 18)
- 2 Cups carrots, grated
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 Cup rolled oats, plus a bit more for topping
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, plus a bit more for topping
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 2 & 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 375F. Grate carrots, cover, and set aside.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dray ingredients, from all-purpose flour to nutmeg.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients from milk to vanilla.
4) Mix the wet ingredients into the dry, and once well incorporated, mix in the grated carrots.
5) Divide mixture among 18 muffin cups (have a mentioned my love of silicon?), and sprinkle with oats and cinnamon.
6) Bake for 30 minutes.