Ingredients (makes 4 dozen):
- 1 Cup & 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 Cup of sugar
- 1 Cup and brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 Cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Cup chocolate chips or chunks of your choice (I used peppermint chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine butter and both sugars in a large bowl, and beat until creamy, light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs into the sugar and butter, one at a time, then whisk in the vanilla extract until the ingredients are well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the wet, until everything is well mixed and the batter is thick.
- Flatten tablespoons of dough onto greased baking sheets to form the cookies.
*For Classic Cookies*
>Stud cookies with chocolate chips, and bake for 12 minutes
*For Festive Peppermint Cookies*
> Bake the cookies for 12 minutes
> Remove from oven and let fully cool on the baking sheets, about 15 to 20 minutes
> Melt 1 Cup of peppermint chocolate chips in the microwave (start by heating for 1 1/2 minutes, stir, and heat by increments of 10 seconds until fully melted)
> Spoon the melted chocolate over the tops of the baked cookies, and sprinkle with candy cane bits. Let cool for 2 hours at room temperature.