I'm serious. A cheese ball. It's our tradition, and it's DELICIOUS.
I look forward to cheese overload every year, and with triscuit crackers, it's irresistible.
Ingredients (make 2 large balls):
- 2, 250g bars of light cream cheese
- 12oz (2/3 of a 500 bar) of light aged cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped green peppers
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp finely chopper maraschino cherries
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp tabasco sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup dried parsley
- 100g (about 1 cup) chopped walnuts
- Prep first! grate the cheese, and chop and veg and cherries.
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese and grated cheese until well incorporated. This will take a few minutes and will be a bit of an arm work-out.
- Add the chopped veg and cherries, and mix well.
- Place the cheese mixture in the fridge for 45 minutes (you can skip this step it you're rushed, but chilling the cheese makes it easier to handle and roll into balls).
- Dived the cheese mixture in half, and form into two balls.
- Pour the parsley and nuts onto a large plate, and roll the balls in the herb and nuts, until well covered.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve, or make ahead and freeze.
P.S. May your holidays be happy and bright!