|With some pickles on the side, so I can say I are some "greens" ;)|
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 3/4 Cups dried red lentils, uncooked
- 1 1/2 Cups water
- 1 cup red onion, diced (about half a small onion)
- 15oz/398ml can of diced fired roasted tomatoes (I used Aylmers brand)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp chilli powder + a generous pinch
- 2 tsp garlic powder + a generous pinch
- 1/3 tsp black pepper
- Sprinkle of ground oregano
- Rinse the lentils in a strainer under cool water, and remove any debris you may come across.
- Add lentils to a medium pot with the water, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower temperature and simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes (older lentils take longer to cook) until lentils are chewy but not mushy.
- As the lentils simmer, preheat the oven to 375F, and clean and chop the sweet potatoes into small chunks. Place the potato chunks onto a greased baking sheet, dab with oil, and sprinkle with chilli and garlic powder. Sprinkle again with just a touch of ground oregano, and pop in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping the potatoes halfway through.
- When the lentils are cooked until chewy, take off heat, and let sit for a couple minutes, until most of the water is absorbed. Once this happens, stir in the diced onion, diced tomatoes, and the remaining spices. Simmer on medium for 8 minutes.
- Let cool, and serve with the cooked sweet potatoes.