- 1 Medium Italian eggplant
- 1 lb lean ground meat of your choice (turkey, chicken, and beef all work)
- 1 Jar (about 3 cups) tomato sauce
- 1 Cup onion, diced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 4oz (about 1/2 cup) red wine, preferably merlot
- 2 Tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 1 Cup nonfat milk
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, plus extra for sprinking
- 1/2 Cup feta cheese, crumbled
Instructions:1) Chop your onions and garlic, and brown along with the meat in a large frying pan, at medium heat.
2) Once the meat is browned, stir in the tomato sauce and red wine, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
3) While the meat and sauce are simmering, thinly slice the eggplant (I suggest using a mandolin for this) and discard the end pieces that are mostly peel.
4) When the simmering is done, layer the meat and eggplant mixture in a 13x9 pan, begining and ending with the meat mixture.
5) Preheat oven to 350F, and proceed to make the white sauce by adding milk to a saucepan on low heat, and adding flour by 1/2 Tbsp until the sauce thickens.
6) Add the cheese to the sauce, and stir until the feta starts to melt.
7) Pour the white sauce evenly over the casserole, and bake for 25 minutes uncovered.