Although I used to think that meatloaf was a tacky dish from the era of 70's housewives, in the past year I've come to appreciate how loafin' turns budget-friendly ground meat, into something compact and flavourful. Also, being one of those Monday's where I had a big, long to-do list to tackle, I really needed something I could prep in a flash, then shove in the oven to enjoy later.
Adapting my previous favourite meatloaf recipe, I went for turkey this time, and came-up with this 5-minute prep combo:
- 1kg/2lbs of lean ground turkey
- 1 box of Stove Top Stuffing, turkey flavour
- 1/2 cup calorie-wise BBQ sauce (*This is much lower in sugar than both regular BBQ sauce, and ketchup)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp each, water and unsweeted almond milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) To make this a one-dish recipe, grease a casserole dish and mix all ingredients except for half of the BBQ sauce, directly in the pan.
3) Once well-mixed, coat the loaf with the other half of the BBQ sauce and sprinkle with chili powder, and pop into the oven for 1 hour.