Aside from trying to cut sugar, I've also started to cut my processed carb intake. Although I still keep my whole-grains at breakfast and lunch, I'm working to manage my stress-eating habit of shoveling my face full of empty carbs.
Since ignoring cravings can end in an eventual binge, I thought swapping flour-based muffins with almond-based muffins would be a healthier way to satisfy my cravings. After reading through some recipes online, I came up with a very successful mix of ingredients that led to these tasty and protein-packed morsels.
An added bonus - it's also gluten free! My only caveat is that you need to choose a protein powder you love the taste of because the flavour of the powder will really be pronounced in the muffins.
Ingredients (makes 12 muffins):
- 1 & 1/3 Cups almond meal (also sold as ground almonds, or almond flour)
- 5 Scoops white chocolate or vanilla protein powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave, in 10 second increments until mostly liquid
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients until mixed well
- Line a standard muffin tin with liners, and evenly distribute the batter among 12 liners
- Place in the oven, and bake for 12 minutes