Time to dig-out those scarves and sweaters, because it's officially fall! Problem is, while many of my friends and coworkers are high-fiving to no longer having to keep the AC cranked up, I'm grumpily huddled at my desk, wishing it'd be social acceptable to wear a giant blanket at work.
While I'm mostly a proud, typical Canadian, there's one area of Canadiana that I fail miserably at: acceptance of the cold. I'm one of those lucky people who barely sweats, and loves being extra-warm. I'd choose a sun burn over a wind burn any day. So while some people can't wait to take a stroll in the cool, autumn air, I much rather be cozily indoors, huddled over a hot bowl of soup.
So if you're a cold-weather grump like me, you'll real love this super easy to make soup. It's loaded with healthy kale, and has a sriracha kick to remind of the heat you miss so dearly.
Ingredients (makes 5 big servings):
- 1 Large head of kale
- 6 Cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Medium Tomato
- 1 Medium Potato
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1 lb (454g) Lean Meat: lean breakfast ham, or lean ground pork or turkey is best
- Fully cook the meat, and set aside
- Bring broth to a boil, and add the meat and sriracha
- Stir in chopped vegetables in the following order: