At work today, I couldn't stop thinking about those delicious, fluffy pancakes. However, since I no longer have the sweet tooth I had as a child, or eggs in my fridge, I improvised and made protein filled post-gym pancakes. They're not the prettiest looking stack, but they're quite tasty and go well with fruit or jam.
If you haven't tried hemp protein before, I suggest you give it shot. It's not like your standard body-builder powders that you mix with water and chug, so I typically blend it with berries. The key reasons to use this protein is that it's a great source of fiber and Omega fats, as well as protein.
Hemp & Cocoa Protein Pancakes (makes 6 small pancakes)
Adapted from here.
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup hemp protein powder
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 small banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted (+ more for the pan)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Place some oil in a frying pan, and heat on medium.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, hemp protein, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredient (banana, coconut oil, almond milk)
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix well.
- Drop batter into the pan, in 4-inch circles. Cook each side for 3 minutes.